-
November 3rd, 2003, 08:39 PM
#41
Inactive Member
The 16 does mean 16 Ohms, but that doesn't mean that someone didn't put an 8 Ohm diaphragm in them. That's the problem with ebay sometimes. Their 8 Ohm diaphragms will measure about 6 Ohms of DC resistance if all is right with the driver.
You can change the impedance of these drivers by changing the diaphragms.
I'll look at your links, thankyou.
-
November 5th, 2003, 01:08 AM
#42
Inactive Member
Q, take a look at the Altec 515G woofer. Looks fairly efficent in the right cabinet, but 50hz might be its low. http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/515G.th.htm
BTW, for those who are interested, there's a set of VOT componets on ePay that are very pretty.
-
November 7th, 2003, 02:19 PM
#43
Inactive Member
Todd, would you happen to know the Re, and the Rmax @ Fs values for the 290-16K driver? I thought Re would be 16 ohms, but I don't want to ASSume anything and I'm clueless as to the Rmax value. Or possibly the Q-man could email me a copy of the impedance plot he has.
I have two 290-16K on the way. Hopefully with the correct diaphragms. My horns arrived last night, but I'm a little PO'd. Advertised to be in "appx. 24" cabinets". Actual is 28". This throws a big monkey wrench in my plans...
Appreciate the help guys.
THANKS!!!
-
November 7th, 2003, 06:17 PM
#44
Inactive Member
While I'm begging for data...does anyone know (in addition to the above request) the Le, Qes, and the Qms for the Altec 290-16K? I don't seem to find them listed anywhere.
THANKS
-
March 24th, 2004, 10:59 PM
#45
Inactive Member
It's been a couple of months and I forgot to post the results.
The new network is finished and I'm quite satisfied with the sound now. The network is a big improvement over the Klipschorn designed network. The 311-90 horn with the 290 has a large peak at 860Hz, this may be a reflection in the horn. A notch filter was designed in the network so the peak could be attenuated. The mechanical resonance of the 290 was around 250hz near where Todd previously stated it was. The crossover point is near 400Hz, because I'm being told that you should be 1 octave above Fs to keep distortion low.
I did an A/B with the new network and the Klipschorn based network that I was using and liking. It was one of those night and day differences. It sure put a smile on my face. I guess you can't beat having the right equipment to measure the drivers and horns when you are designing a network. It sure is sweet sounding, there will be no going back to the stock klipschorn.
I'm now working on my center channel speaker. Of course it's a Klipsch bass horn, 290-16K driver with the 311-90 horn and it's crossed over the the JBL 2404H tweeter at 6000Hz.
As I said before, I have six 290 drivers, but only four 311-90 horns. if anyone has any 311-90 horns that they want to sell you can let me know.
Q-Man
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks